Word From the Principal
Kaharoa School children, parents and staff are 'Flying High' after a number of successful events and happenings. The Hamurana Flyer was an amazingly positive event with smiles and laughter galore. It was wonderfully energizing seeing so many families enjoying this event either as a participant or helper. Thank you to the PTA and all concerned. This event attracted over 250 competitors and is sure to grow. Some of the comments that were shared with us were.....
- “Loved The smiles on everyone’s faces”
- “Great atmosphere, great venue, good to get the family out.”
- “Everything! Loved it!”
- “The colour run and paint throwing were a lot of fun”
- “Loved the spirit of everyone involved, such an amazing atmosphere!”
- “Community! So many smiling faces and wonderful to see whole families participating.”
- “Good fun, awesome venue”
- “We loved all of it”
- “Event was fun and very well organised. Can’t wait to be back next year.”
- “I really enjoyed seeing the smiles on everybody’s faces - from the youngest to the oldest, I think everybody had a great time. This was an excellent event”
- “I really hope we have begun something that can be an annual event.
- “A huge thank you to everybody who was involved in the organisation and the running of this event.”
- “Awesome atmosphere, fun for the whole family”
- “I really enjoyed all of it”
- “Love the venue and friendly people.”
- “Seeing the smiles on everyone’s faces! I thought the colour stations were spaced very well.”
- “Loved the buzz, the colour, this event was fabulous” - “and I really hope it gains momentum because it was great and fun and safe”
- “Awesome family day, loved the photos, the whole thing was a highlight”
- “I loved seeing a lot of people that I went through Kaharoa with”.
- “Lots of smiles and laughter, it was a delight, thank you for organising this event.” and also said “Loved seeing lots of families running and exercising together, a great family participation event.”
- “I thought the colour idea was fab”
- “Great atmosphere and organisation.”
- “Family fun and recreational activity and lots of happy faces.”
- “Great family event”
- “The community engagement, the smiles and fun. Great organization.”
- “Great atmosphere, really well organised for a first off event”
- Paul Hickey said “This one could have legs.”
This was followed by a visit from the Education Review Office (ERO). It was a highlight for me to celebrate your children, parents and teachers and the wonderful culture that exists within our school. I enjoyed highlighting the progress the children are making, the learning, sporting and cultural opportunities they have and the hard work teachers put in to ensure the best for your children. Data doesn’t always reflect this and ERO have given us some strong insight on how to further improve our practice to improve data. I look forward to sharing our report with you when it is available in the new year.
During the same week, we celebrated success at the Rural and Central Athletics with Casey Day, Leo English, Kobe Stranks-Rose, Luke Gifford, Kody Jackson, Elspeth and Dane Napier, Scarlett Bradley and Emily Davies qualifying for the EBOP/Central Athletics. Casey Day and Leo English also smashed the Central BOP 800 metre track records. We also enjoyed the opportunity to work in partnership with Kai Rotorua and Te Rangikaheke planting kumara. Each child has their own plant to nurture and we are hoping for a strong crop in 4 months time. The team from ERO were impressed with the learning this opportunity provided.
A busy week was capped off with a successful firewood fundraiser on Saturday. Hard working parents ended up splitting 56 cubic metres of firewood, raising $5640. Thank you again to the PTA and all those supportive parents and children, many of whom were past pupils.
We have some key dates coming up
- Friday 29 November - PTA/BOT/staff dinner and farewell to Sheryn Shoebridge
- Saturday 30 November - Our school bands playing in the Rotorua Music School performance at the Harvest Centre.
- Sunday 1 December - Weetbix Triathlon, Rotorua.
- Monday 2 December - School pool opens for the community - please note and respect the new hours.
- Tuesday 3 December - EBOP/CBOP Athletics
- Thursday 5 December - Morning assembly to celebrate Stepping Up Awards, Chess Cup winners, Homework Challenge, Waterpolo and Australasian English Assessment awards.
- Friday 6 December - 5.30pm School Choir singing at NZEI recognition of Sheryn Shoebridge
- Monday 9 December - Board of Trustees Meeting
- Tuesday 10 December - Senior Prize Giving 1.00pm and Reports go home
- Wednesday 11 December - Tennis Finals, Meet the teacher, Picnic and Cricket
- Thursday 12 December - children finish school at 12.20pm with the first bus leaving at 12.30pm.
- Friday 13 December - Carols by Candlelight - school choir singing.
Please keep checking our website and emails for other events, changes and end of year class trips so that you don’t miss anything in what is a busy time of the year for us.