Teacher: Shanelle Kivell
Click here to view the Term 2 class newsletter.
The Kaharoa School class stationery lists for 2021 are available online.
Please go to www.myschool.co.nz to see the requirements and to place your order with Office Max. They also offer delivery to your door.
Suggestions to Help Increase Understanding
· Give your child time to work out words (5 seconds or more is reasonable)
· After 10 seconds ENCOURAGE your child to use the following strategies when they come across an unknown word:
Correcting Mistakes Your Child Makes
· If the mistake makes sense, as in a misreading of house for home, let your child continue to the end of the sentence. Then go back and ask, ”What word is this?”
· If the mistake does not make sense, lead your child to correct the mistake by allowing time to self correct
· Reread what your child has said and ask’ “Does it make sense?”
· Finally, if the meaning is still not clear, look at the word and find familiar sounds such as ’s’ at the beginning and ’ing’ at the end.
What to Read?
One way of getting your child to understand what they are reading or listening to is to get your child to ask questions.
When you are involved with reading with your child try the following:
Blends and Contractions
As conventions of print come up in your child’s reading, refer to them and ask your child about them.
Contractions - eg: don’t-do not can’t-can not etc
Consonant blends - eg: dr, cl, pr etc
Word endings - eg: s, ed, ing, er etc
Compound words - eg: today (to day), something, etc
As your child progresses the following strategies can be used:
Pause: The First P
The first thing to do after a child makes a mistake is to refrain from doing anything, pause.
This means :
This allows time for your child to do his/her own thinking. Being able to problem solve is an important part of reading.
Prompt: The Second P
If a word is not attempted, go looking for more clues.
- “Read on”
-”Try that again”
-”Go back to the beginning
If a word does not make sense, give a meaning prompt. Ask a question about the meaning
If the word makes sense but is incorrect, give a visual or sound prompt. Direct attention to what the word looks or sounds like
Praise: The Third P
Praise can and should be given for:
-Prompted self corrections
Give time to work the word out.
If unable to work it out try some of the following:
The Maths Buddy website is a way to reinforce the concepts that we cover in class. Your child should already have a user’s account. http://www.mathsbuddy.co.nz
For the younger members of our class, Study ladder is also a great resource, covering maths, reading and spelling. http://www.studyladder.co.nz
|08-05||Kaharoa Kokako Netball Intermediate Team - Grading Day|
|10-05||Future Fern Netball - Kaharoa Kahus (yr 1/2) First Game|
|11-05||Future Fern Netball - Kaharoa Kererus (yr 5/6) First Game|
|12-05||Basketball - Kaharoa CrossUps First Game|
|14-05||Hockey - Kaharoa Kwik Sticks (year 7/8) First Game|
|15-05||Hockey - Kaharoa Maxis (year 5/6) First Game|
|07-06||Queens Birthday Long Weekend - No School|
|08-06||Teacher Only Day - No School Today|
|22-06||Kaharoa School & Rural Cross Country|
|09-07||End of Term 2|
|26-07||Start of Term 3|